The Call Process of the Northern Illinois Synod
Here is what you can expect in this transition time for your congregation:
1. The bishop, with your council’s approval, will appoint an interim pastor to serve you.
2. Your council will review a job description, make decisions about compensation, seek input from you, and address concerns within the congregation.
3. A call committee will be established according to the guidelines of your constitution.
4. The council and/or the call committee will compile and submit a Ministry Site Profile, which is a description of your congregation, to the synod.
5. The call committee will keep you informed of the progress of its work until a candidate has been recommended to the council.
6. The call committee will meet with a member of the synod staff and receive coaching on how to conduct an effective interview.
7. The call committee will receive the name(s) of potential candidate(s).
8. The call committee will interview, check references and hear the candidate preach.
9. After the call committee has made a decision, it will meet with the congregation council to share information regarding the recommended candidate.
10. Your council will have the opportunity the meet and speak with the candidate. The council will discuss compensation and benefits with the candidate.
11. The council will vote to recommend the candidate to the congregation and call a meeting.
12. Members of the congregation will be given the opportunity to meet the pastoral candidate.
13. The call committee chair and president of the congregation will formally recommend the candidate to the congregation.
14. A vote of the congregation takes place according to your constitution.
15. If the congregation votes “yes,” a Letter of Call is signed and forwarded to the bishop and sent on to the pastor.
16. The pastor has 30 days to consider the call.
17. If the candidate accepts the call, an installation date is set. If the candidate declines the call, the call committee goes back to work with the synod staff.
According to our Church Constitution, Section C13.01.03, “When a pastoral vacancy occurs, a Call Committee of six voting members shall be elected by the Congregation Council.”
Serving on the Call Committee is very important work and requires a significant time commitment. Committee members work together to develop a process for completing a Ministry Site Profile which describes the mission and ministry of the congregation and its vision for the future. Once the profile is completed and sent to the Northern Illinois Synod office, names of potential candidates are received from the bishop, interviews are conducted, and a candidate is then recommended to the Congregation Council for call. If you have an interest in serving on the Call Committee, please complete the Call Committee Form which can be found on the table in the Narthex, in the February Messenger, and as part of the worship folder starting January 26/27. Please submit to the Church Office no later than Tuesday February 12.